It was founded in 1866 as the Rhyl Journal and General Weekly Advertiser for North Wales. Between 1873 and 1878 it dropped the reference to Rhyl and became the Journal and Weekly Advertiser for North Wales, after which it became simply the Rhyl Journal. In 1933 it revived the Advertiser portion of the title and became the Rhyl Journal & Advertiser.
A flurry of name changes in 1985 saw it renamed simply The Journal in August, then the Rhyl & Prestatyn Journal in December. It reverted to Rhyl Journal in 1987, and finally became the Rhyl, Prestatyn & Abergele Journal in 1989.
It’s owned by NWN Media (formerly North Wales Newspapers Ltd), an independent family-owned company with a history going back well into the nineteenth century. The editorial offices are in Rhyl.
There used to be two editions: one covering Rhyl and Prestatyn, the other covering Abergele. They were unified in December 2010.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition is also available free on the website.
Although it’s a freesheet, a small portion of the distribution is sold through the news trade.
- Rhyl Journal
23 Kinmel Street
- 01745 357500
- 01745 343510
New travel resource for disabled people. Exchange information, book holidays, read the latest disability news. Free listings for pubs, restaurants, B&Bs, hotels. Visit today!
CanDoCanGo – http://www.candocango.com/