Pontypool Free Press
It was founded in 1859 as the poetically named Pontypool Free Press and Herald of the Hills. In 1879 it became simply The Pontypool Free Press and kept that name for another 30 years, becoming the Free Press of Monmouthshire in 1909. In 1993 it was renamed just The Press.
It survived a reorganisation of the series in November 2008, in which the Chepstow Free Press, Monmouth Free Press and Abergavenny Free Press were merged into a single edition called simply The Free Press.
Its editorial office in Pontypool closed in November 2011 after over 150 years, although Torfaen County Borough Council provided a room in the civic centre to enable the paper to keep a presence in the town. It’s now produced from Newsquest’s regional headquarters in Newport.
It comes out on Wednesdays.