It was founded in 1837 by publisher-printer Thomas Farror. Its original rather impressive full title was: The Monmouthshire Beacon, Forest of Dean Gazette and General Advertiser for Monmouthshire, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire and the South (of Wales).
Since January 1980 it’s been owned by Farnham Castle Newspapers and run as a family concern chaired by Sir Ray Tindle of the Tindle Newspapers group.
It’s a sister title to the weekly tabloid the Ross Gazette, which covers neighbouring south Herefordshire.
A sub-edition for Chepstow, the Chepstow Beacon, was launched in April 2013.
It’s published on Wednesdays. A e-edition is also available on the website by paid subscription.