It was founded in 1864 as The Merthyr Express and Advertiser for the Iron and Coal Districts of South Wales. It shortened its title to simply The Merthyr Express in 1881, only to lengthen it again five years later to The Merthyr Express, Aberdare and East Glamorgan Herald, Tredegar and West Monmouth Times.
It’s published by Cardiff-based Media Wales Ltd (part of Trinity Mirror) as part of their Celtic Weekly Newspapers series. The editorial offices are in Merthyr Tydfil.
It’s had various local sub-editions over the years, including for Ebbw Vale, Sirhowy, West Monmouth and Caerphilly. Now only one remains: for the Rhymney Valley, the Rhymney Valley Express.
As with all Media Wales’s newspapers, the web presence is through their WalesOnline.co.uk site. An e-edition (by paid subscription) is also available online.
It comes out on Thursdays.
- Merthyr Express
52/53 Glebeland Street
- 01685 856506
- 01685 856520