It was founded in 1810 as the Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser, becoming simply The Journal in 1887 and then settling on its present title in 1911. Like the Llanelli Star, it’s a tabloid. However, it’s published on Wednesdays rather than Thursdays; and it has its own editorial offices, in Carmarthen.
It’s published by Swansea-based South West Wales Media Ltd, a division of Northcliffe Media, which used to be the Daily Mail & General Trust‘s regional newspaper publishing division but has been the major constituent of the new Local World media group since November 2012.
It has several sub-editions:
- Gwendraeth Valley
- Teifi Valley
- Ammanford, Llandeilo & Llandovery
- Lampeter & Llandysul
- St Clears & Whitland
Until recently it had no website of its own; like Northcliffe’s other newspapers, it shared their thisissouthwales.co.uk website, which was formerly the newspapers’ website but is now a more general portal site for which the newspapers merely provide news stories. However, Local World took the decision in early 2013 to create “publisher-branded” websites for its newspapers to run alongside the thisis…co.uk and …people.co.uk websites.