The Abergavenny Chronicle (in full, the Abergavenny Chronicle & Gazette) is a weekly broadsheet newspaper sold in the town of Abergavenny in north-western Monmouthshire (Gwent) and the surrounding area, including the smaller towns of Usk, Crickhowell and Llantilio Perthpley.
It was founded in 1871 by Edwin Morgan. The Chronicle (originally the Abergavenny Chronicle and General Record of the Agricultural and Mining Districts!) was his second attempt at founding a newspaper; the Abergavenny Gazette failed after just a few issues in 1864. Morgan and his family managed to keep the Chronicle going until 1965, when it was sold to Worcester-based Berrows Newspapers Ltd (publisher of Berrow’s Worcester Journal, which claims to be the oldest newspaper continuously in print).
It’s now published by Tindle Newspapers, who acquired it in 1983. The editorial offices are in Abergavenny.
It comes out on Thursdays. There are also three companion freesheet newspapers: the Abergavenny Gazette & Diary and the Crickhowell Gazette & Diary, founded in 2002; and the Valley Voice, founded in 2004.
- Abergavenny Chronicle
13 Nevill Street
- 01873 852187
- 01873 857677