It was founded in 1870 as The Wishaw Advertiser and South Lanark Weekly News, but changed its title in 1875 to The Wishaw Press and Advertiser.
It’s published by Scottish & Universal Newspapers (part of the Trinity Mirror Group; now merged into Media Scotland). It used to share editorial offices in Airdrie with the Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, but has now moved to Hamilton along with many of Media Scotland’s other local newspapers.
Its companion freesheet, the Wishaw World, was suspended indefinitely from publication in September 2011, along with all S&UN’s other freesheets.
It lost its own website at wishawpress.co.uk in September 2013 when Media Scotland followed the example of Trinity Mirror divisions elsewhere and centralised all its local newspapers’ websites on the regional paid-for daily’s website – in the case of Scotland, the Daily Record‘s site.
It comes out on Wednesdays.