It was founded in 1801 as The Dundee Courier & Argus. Until 1992 it kept up the traditional practice of giving over its front page to classified advertising – a practice now abandoned by all UK newspapers except the Cornish & Devon Post series.
There are six editions as of 2013:
- Angus & The Mearns
- West Fife
It’s available as an e-edition and an app by paid subscription.
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in January 2012. The website underwent a facelift in December 2012.
It’s moved temporarily to D C Thomson’s Kingsway works while the headquarters building in Meadowside is refurbished to make it more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly. The works started in April 2013 and are expected to last for 15 months.