It was founded in January 1855. On its foundation it bore a subtitle: A General Advertiser for the Western Isles, but after just four issues the A was replaced with an and. In 1894 it became simply The Buteman.
It changed title again at the beginning of 1914 upon incorporating the Rothesay Chronicle, which had been founded in 1863; from then until 1951 it was The Buteman and West Coast Chronicle. Another acquisition – this time of the 1877-founded The Rothesay Express – then meant another change of title, to The Buteman & The Rothesay Express. However, this new title lasted for only four years until The Buteman took its present title once more in 1955.
It’s published by Angus County Press Ltd, a company within the Scotland division of nationwide regional newspaper publishers Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in Rothesay.
It comes out on Thursdays.