It was founded in 1855 and for many years bore the tagline “The Scottish Border Newspaper”. It’s published by Tweeddale Press, a Berwick-based division of the Johnston Press group. Its editorial offices are in Selkirk, though they moved from the High Street to the Tweed Mill Business Park in 2013.
It’s absorbed a number of other newspapers:
- in 1957 it incorporated The Border Standard, founded in 1881 as the Scottish Border Record;
- at the end of February 1983 it absorbed The Hawick Express, established in 1870 as The Hawick Express and Scottish Border News, renamed The Hawick Express & Advertiser and Roxburghshire Gazette (1915-1930) and then the Hawick Express and Roxburghshire Advertiser (1930-1964);
- in the same week it also absorbed The Kelso Chronicle & Jedburgh Gazette, itself the result of the 1964 merger of two earlier papers, the Border Counties Chronicle & Mail (which, as the Kelso Mail, or, Roxburgh, Berwickshire and Northumberland Gazette, was already well beyond its 1,000th issue by 1810!) and The Jedburgh Gazette, a comparative newcomer founded in 1870.
It switched to from broadsheet to tabloid format in March 2013.
It comes out on Thursdays.