It was founded in 1851 as the Dumbarton Herald, and County Advertiser. In 1861 a Saturday edition was launched, The Saturday Dumbarton Herald, and County Advertiser, for Dumbartonshire [sic], Argyleshire [sic] and Buteshire; three years later this became The Lennox Herald, and Dumbarton, Vale of Leven, and Cambernauld Advertiser. In 1865 it became The Lennox Herald and Weekly Advertiser. At the end of 1933 the Dumbarton Herald and Lennox Herald were merged as The Lennox Herald for Western Dumbartonshire, becoming The Lennox Herald in 1968. Between 2002 and 2007 it was known simply as The Lennox.
It’s published by Media Scotland (formerly Scottish & Universal Newspapers Ltd), the Scottish division of Trinity Mirror. The editorial offices have been centralised at Media Scotland’s headquarters in Glasgow; the Dumbarton office closed in February 2012.
A local sub-edition, the Helensburgh Lennox, covered Helensburgh until at least 2008, but had apparently closed by 2010. A companion freesheet, the Clyde Weekly News, was suspended indefinitely, along with Trinity Mirror’s other Scottish freesheets, in September 2011.
It comes out on Fridays.