It was founded in 1883 as the Kirkintilloch Herald and Lenzie, Kilsyth, Campsie, and Cumbernauld Press by local businessman Donald Macleod. The effort of launching it proved such a strain on his health that it was three years before one of his sons felt ready to publish the second issue. It didn’t shorten its title to the Kirkintilloch Herald until 1959.
It’s been published by Johnston Press‘s Johnston (Falkirk) division since the early 1970s. The editorial offices are in Kirkintilloch.
Besides the main edition, there are two local sub-editions, all sharing the same website:
A third, the North Lanarkshire Herald, closed in 2011.
It comes out on Wednesdays.