It was first published in 1871 as The Irvine Herald, and Cunninghame Advertiser, but became the Irvine Herald and Ayrshire Advertiser in 1888 and kept that title for the next 80 years. Meanwhile, in 1893 the Kilwinning Chronicle and North Ayrshire Record was established, becoming the Kilwinning Chronicle and Ayrshire Advertiser in 1960.
The two papers were merged as the Irvine Herald, Ayrshire Advertiser, Kilwinning Chronicle in 1968. The merged title was known simply as the Irvine Herald from 1971 until 1980, when the Kilwinning Chronicle was restored to the masthead.
It’s published by Media Scotland (formerly Scottish & Universal Newspapers Ltd), the Scottish division of the Trinity Mirror group. The editorial offices are in Irvine.
Along with the rest of Media Scotland’s local newspapers, it lost its own website in September 2013. It now has a web presence through the Daily Record website’s Irvine pages.
It comes out on Fridays.