It was founded in 1879 and bore the title Aberdeen Evening Express for the first 20 years of its existence. It absorbed a short-lived rival, the 1892-founded Northern Evening News, in 1893. In 1922 it incorporated an only slightly younger title, The Evening Gazette, which had been established in 1882. It was initially a broadsheet, but switched to tabloid format in the 1930s before, unusually, switching back to broadsheet in 1958. The Saturday edition went back again to tabloid in 1989, followed by the other editions in 1995.
It’s published by Aberdeen Journals Ltd, who also publish the Press & Journal daily broadsheet. Aberdeen Journals is a subsidiary of D C Thomson, who bought the company and its newspapers from the Daily Mail & General Trust in 2006.
The editorial offices are in Mastrick, in the west of the city.
There are three editions: the City Final edition (which is the biggest), an Extra edition and a small Buchan edition.
For many years it had a sports special edition on Saturdays, the “Green Final”, which ceased publication in 2002.
An e-edition’s available by paid subscription.