It was founded in 1855 as the Blairgowrie Advertiser and Coupar-Angus and Alyth Journal. In 1859 it was renamed The Advertiser for Blairgowrie, Rattray, Coupar-Angus, Alyth, Kirriemuir, Strathmore and Stormont, but kept that name for only two years before becoming the Blairgowrie Advertiser and Strathmore and Stormont News. It changed name again in 1879 to the Blairgowrie Advertiser and Perth and Forfar Agriculturalist before adopting its present title in 1887. It added the subtitle and East Perthshire News-Review in 1953.
In 1978 it absorbed the East Perthshire Gazette & Guardian (founded in 1884 as the Alyth Guardian and District Advertiser, which merged with the 1898-founded Alyth Gazette and Merchants’ Advertiser in 1925). It bore the additional title in its masthead until 1981, when it reverted to today’s title.
It’s published by Media Scotland (formerly Scottish & Universal Newspapers), the Scottish division of Trinity Mirror. The main offices are in Perth and are shared with the Perthshire Advertiser. An earlier office in Blairgowrie’s Leslie Street has now closed.
It comes out on Wednesdays.
Advertise on this site!
With over 1,500 pages covering the UK’s national, regional and local papers, we’ve got advertising options for everyone – from the classified advertiser to the multinational!
Download our ratecard (PDF, 105 KB)