It was founded in 1869 as The Berwickshire News and General Advertiser and kept that title for nearly 90 years. In 1957 it absorbed the Berwickshire Advertiser (founded in 1893) and became The Berwickshire News & the Berwickshire Advertiser. It was briefly simply The Berwickshire News from 1969 to 1971 before becoming The Berwickshire News & East Lothian Advertiser. In 1983 it was amalgamated with the Berwick Advertiser and published as The Berwickshire & Berwick Advertiser, before regaining its separate identity under its present title in 1991.
It’s published by the Tweeddale Press Group, part of the Johnston Press group of regional newspapers that covers most of the UK. The editorial offices are across the Border in Berwick-upon-Tweed and are collocated with the Berwick Advertiser.
It comes out on Thursdays.