It’s the second newspaper to bear the Arbroath Herald title. The earlier version was founded in 1838 as the Arbroath Herald and Angus-shire, Political, Literary, Commercial, and Agricultural Advertiser, but appears not to have lasted long. The current incarnation was founded in 1885 as The Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs by John Brodie from Selkirk – initially as a freesheet, as a paid-for title from 1887; it was renamed the Arbroath Herald and Angus County Advertiser in 1940. It remained in private ownership until Johnston Press bought it in 1999. It’s now published by Johnston’s Angus County Press subsidiary, from editorial offices in Arbroath.
The Guide & Gazette mentioned in the Herald‘s masthead is a sub-edition covering Broughty Ferry, Carnoustie and Monifieth in the southern part of the distribution area, immediately to the east of Dundee.
Both the sub-edition and the Herald itself come out on Fridays.