Its history goes back to 1841 and the foundation of the Alloa Monthly Advertiser. By 1850 it had become a weekly, The Alloa Advertiser, although a companion monthly continued to appear until 1891.
In September 1972 it amalgamated with The Alloa Journal, which had been established in 1850 as The Clackmannanshire Advertiser, and Alloa Journal of News, etc., was renamed the Alloa Journal and Clackmannanshire Advertiser in 1859, and underwent its final name change in 1916. The Journal had itself assimilated another newspaper only an issue earlier: The Alloa Circular and Hillsfoot Record, which had been founded as simply the Circular in 1869. The amalgamated newspaper was entitled the Alloa Advertiser-Journal until 1976 and then the Alloa and Hillfoots Advertiser Journal until 1988, at which point it adopted its existing title.
It’s published by Forth Weekly Press, a branch of independent publishers the Romanes Media Group (formerly Clyde & Forth Press) that also publishes the Dunfermline Press, the Central Fife Times and the East Lothian Courier. The editorial offices are in Alloa.
It comes out on Thursdays.