It was founded in 1870 – as The Banbridge Chronicle, Gilford & Rathfriland Mail; it changed title in 1879 – and is thus the district’s oldest newspaper. It was initially owned and edited for 42 years by John Edmund Emerson; after his death his son Arthur Waldo Emerson took it over until his own death in 1951. The paper then passed into the hands of W & S Magowan Ltd for nearly 30 years before being taken over by the Hodgett family, who had already established themselves in the world of newspaper publishing through their ownership of the Newry Reporter.
The publishers are Banbridge Chronicle Press Ltd, who are based in Banbridge.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.