It was founded in 1852. It’s the flagship newspaper of the Yorkshire Weekly Newspaper Group, which has been a division of Johnston Press since 1985.
Its editorial offices (and YWNG’s headquarters) have been in the same location in central Wakefield ever since it was founded. Johnston announced plans to sell the building and move to an out-of-town location in April 2009, to the dismay of the YWNG staff housed there. The plans then appear to have been abandoned temporarily, as the move still hadn’t taken place nearly three years later. But in August 2012 Johnston confirmed that the Southgate offices would close in a rationalisation that also embraced the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post offices in Leeds. The news team are now based in Northgate, also in the city centre.
It’s published on Fridays.