Morley Observer & Advertiser
It was founded in 1871 as the Morley Observer and kept that title until 1957, when it became the Morley News & Observer. Six years later it reversed the order to become the Morley Observer & News; it readopted its original title in its centenary year of 1971. It became the Morley Observer & Advertiser in 2005; a sub-edition, the South Leeds Observer, was absorbed into the main title in the same year.
It’s part of the Reporter Group of newspapers, published by the Yorkshire Weekly Newspaper Group division of Johnston Press.
The editorial offices in Queen Street in Morley closed in July 2011. For a little over a year afterwards the paper’s staff were based in Dewsbury at the offices of the Dewsbury Reporter, with written enquiries being directed to YNWG’s headquarters in Wakefield. However, those premises were also closed in November 2012 as part of Johnston’s ongoing economy measures; the paper’s now produced from their regional headquarters in Leeds.
It comes out on Wednesdays.