It was founded in 1856 as the Beverley Guardian and East Riding Advertiser. In 1903 it absorbed The East Riding Telegraph, which had been founded as the Beverley and East Riding Telegraph in 1895.
Since 1997 it’s been owned by Johnston Press and is published by Scarborough-based Yorkshire Regional Newspapers as part of their Driffield Times & Post series, whose offices are in Driffield. However, it has its own website.
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format in 1988.
It comes out on Fridays.