It’s published by The Barnsley Chronicle Ltd, independent publishers of the paid-for weekly broadsheet for the area the Barnsley Chronicle. The editorial offices of both newspapers are in Church Street in central Barnsley.
It started life in 1855 as the Barnsley Times, but changed name to the Barnsley Independent at the beginning of 1883. In 1939 it was incorporated into the Chronicle, but later resumed publication.
In March 2013 the Independent amalgamated with The Barnsley Chronicle Ltd’s monthly magazine, Barnsley Today, creating a hybrid “which combines the frequency of a newspaper with the lighter read of a magazine”.
It comes out on Wednesdays. The website consists of an archive of (free) e-editions of the newspaper, plus details of how to advertise.