It was one of a series of newspapers published by Newsquest Leeds for the west of the city. It was an offshoot of the Bramley Advertiser, founded in 1891 and bought by Newsquest in February 2003. Newsquest took that original title and expanded it into four newspapers, of which the Armley & Wortley Advertiser was the first new title, being launched in November 2003. The others in the series were the Pudsey Advertiser (2004) and the Horsforth Advertiser (2005).
All four titles were incorporated into a single title, The Advertiser, in June 2008, with shared editorial offices in Pudsey.