It was founded by Harry Fieldhouse in 1895 as a monthly four-page newspaper entitled The People’s Tribune, but switched to weekly publication just two years later. Five years after that and it had expanded to become a daily newspaper, changing its name to the Midland Counties Tribune. It became the Nuneaton Evening Tribune in 1957.
EMAP took over the Tribune in 1987 and kept it for five years before selling to Midland Independent Newspapers in 1992; it became a weekly – the Weekly Tribune – the same year. Along with MIN’s other titles, it passed into Trinity Mirror‘s ownership in 1997; it’s now published by their Coventry Newspapers branch. It changed title again in 2005 to the Nuneaton Tribune, before becoming simply the Tribune in 2008.
It now forms part of a two-title series along with the Hinckley Times, based in Hinckley. (The Nuneaton office now appears to have closed.)
Its web presence used to be via Trinity Mirror’s icCoventry site, but the URL now redirects to the Nuneaton section of the Coventry Telegraph‘s website.
It comes out on Thursdays.
- 01455 891965