It was founded in 1898 with financial backing from the town’s brewery owners as a Conservative-supporting newspaper in opposition to the established Liberal newspaper the Burton Guardian (now defunct). Since 1957 it’s had no paid opposition; the last remaining rival, the Burton Chronicle, was bought out and merged with the Mail‘s weekly sister title, the Burton Observer. After a couple of decades during which it was owned by the Birmingham Post & Mail group, it was taken over by Staffordshire Newspapers Ltd, part of the Iliffe News & Media group (itself in turn part of the Local World group since the end of 2012), and continues to be published by them.
It was known as the Burton Daily Mail from 1907 to 1981 and still retains that name in its address (though not its masthead), although paradoxically it was an evening title (available from lunchtime) until switching to morning publication in 2006.
A football special, the Burton Football Mail, was founded in 1946 and remained in print (barring a two-season gap between 1970 and 1972) until 1978.
The editorial offices are in Burton High Street and are collocated with the Staffordshire Newspapers Ltd company offices.
There’s a companion weekly freesheet, the Burton Advertiser.
An e-edition’s available by paid subscription.