Its antecedents go back to 1860, when The Bromsgrove and Droitwich Weekly Messenger, Local Intelligencer and General Advertiser started publication. In the space of two months in 1866 it changed titles twice, first substituting County Journal for Local Intelligencer and then adding Redditch to the title. At the beginning of 1963 it simplified its title to the Bromsgrove Messenger.
Meanwhile, in 1977 the Bromsgrove Advertiser was launched. In 1985 it absorbed the Messenger.
Although it’s a freesheet, a very small number of copies (less than two per cent) are sold through the news trade.
It comes out on Wednesdays. An e-edition’s also available free on the website.