It was founded in 1855 as The Trowbridge Advertiser but soon expanded to become the Trowbridge and North Wilts Advertiser by 1860. In 1880 it adopted The Wiltshire Times as its main title, keeping and Trowbridge Advertiser as its subtitle until the end of 1949.
In 1962 it became The Wiltshire Times & News; a local sub-edition for the north of the circulation area, the Chippenham News, was launched in the same year. It reverted to The Wiltshire Times in 1970. A number of other local editions were launched from the 1960s onwards; by the 1990s there were issues for Bradford-on-Avon, Melksham, Warminster and Westbury as well as the main one in Trowbridge. However, in 1994 all but the Chippenham News were rolled into the main edition once more; the News followed in 2008, although it survives in the formal title of the newspaper.
It comes out on Fridays.