It was established in 1855 as The Weston Mercury, apparently replacing an earlier title, The Westonian: a monthly arrival list and directory for Weston-super-Mare, etc. founded in 1843 and renamed the Westonian and Somerset Mercury in 1847. After just half a year it became The Weston Mercury & Central Somerset Herald, then in 1869 The Weston Mercury & Somersetshire Herald.
It absorbed a local rival, The Weston-super-Mare Gazette, Clevedon Journal and East Somerset Gazette, in 1951. No change was made to its title.
Local government changes in 1974 meant a further change of title to the Weston Mercury, Somerset & Avon Herald.
It’s now published by Archant South West, a branch of the Archant media group’s Archant Lifestyle division. The editorial offices are in Weston-super-Mare.
Until early 2010 there were two editions: the Weston & Somerset Mercury for the town of Weston and its immediate surrounding area, and the Somerset Mercury for areas further afield.
There are also two associated freesheets: the Midweek Mercury (formerly the Weston-super-Mare Admag) covering the south of the circulation area, around Weston, and the North Somerset Times for the northern area, around Portishead, Clevedon and Nailsea. Since April 2012 a few hundred copies of the Weston Mercury have also been available free through pickup points at static caravan parks.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription on the website.