It was established in 1878. For the first 60-odd years of its existence there was just a single edition. In 1944 an edition for the Camborne area was launched, followed by editions for St Ives and West Penwith (1946), Penzance (1948), the Isles of Scilly (1949) and Helston (1950). In 1983 a reorganisation saw the number of local editions reduced from five to three (Penwith & Isles of Scilly, St Ives/Hayle, Kerrier). By 1990 only the main edition remained.
It’s published by the Cornwall & Devon Media Group, part of the Northcliffe Media regional newspaper publishing division of the Daily Mail & General Trust. The editorial offices are in Penzance.
Until 2011 it shared a common website with Cornwall & Devon Media’s two other titles for Cornwall, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian. Although that website still provides those newspapers’ web presence, like most of Northcliffe Media’s other sites it’s become a portal website to which the local newspapers merely provide news.
It comes out on Thursdays.
- The Cornishman
- 01736 351146
- 01736 350436