Its early history is somewhat obscure, but it appears to have been founded in the early 1860s as the Sidmouth Directory and General Advertiser, initially as a twice-monthly newspaper but then becoming a weekly. At some stage in the 1890s it was renamed The Sidmouth Herald and Directory. It absorbed The Sidmouth Observer (founded in 1887 as the Sidmouth Observer and Visitors’ List) in 1952. It’s borne its present name since 1981.
It’s currently published by Archant South West, a branch of the Norwich-based Archant media group’s Archant Lifestyle division. The editorial offices are in Clyst Honiton just outside Exeter, although the Herald also has a local office in Sidmouth.
Although it’s primarily a paid-for newspaper, it’s also available as a pickup at a local caravan park during the summer months.
The Herald comes out on Fridays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription.