Shepton Mallet Journal
It was founded in 1857 as The Shepton Mallet Journal, and East Somerset Herald. At the beginning of 1866 it was renamed The Shepton Mallet Journal, City of Wells Herald, and County Advertiser, and kept that name for over a century before adopting its present title in 1975.
It’s published by Mid Somerset News & Media Ltd, which is based in Bath and is part of the Northcliffe Media group. Northcliffe was the regional newspaper publishing arm of the Daily Mail & General Trust until November 2012 but is now part of the Local World group.
The editorial offices are in Wells.
It used to have a dedicated section on Northcliffe’s thisissomerset.co.uk website, but in 2011 Northcliffe turned its regional websites into portals, on which the newspapers’ presence was reduced to that of news suppliers. Local World gave the Journal its own website in the summer of 2013.
It comes out on Thursdays.