Its first issue was published on New Year’s Day 1873, but it didn’t adopt its present name until 1882 – in the intervening years it was published as the Cheltenham Express Telegram, the Evening Express Telegram, and finally the Evening Telegram (with a Saturday edition called the Evening Telegram and Express). Northcliffe Newspapers bought it in 1929 and assigned it to their Cheltenham Newspaper Co. Ltd; it’s now published by the Gloucestershire Media Group (part of Northcliffe Media, formerly the regional newspapers division of the Daily Mail & General Trust but part of the Local World media group since the end of 2012). The editorial offices are in Cheltenham.
Until 1985 it was a broadsheet.
It used to share Northcliffe’s thisisgloucestershire.co.uk portal website with The Citizen, The Forester and the Stroud Life. However, Local World decided in early 2013 to launch “publisher-branded” websites for Northcliffe newspapers; the Echo‘s went live in early May of that year.