It was founded in 1878 as The Dursley, Berkeley and Sharpness Gazette and West Gloucestershire Advertiser. After five issues as The Dursley, Berkeley, Wotton-under-Edge and Sharpness Gazette in the spring of 1879, it was renamed The Dursley, Berkeley and Sharpness Gazette and Wotton-under-Edge Advertiser and kept that title until 1916, when Berkeley and Sharpness were dropped from the masthead; the Wotton-under-Edge Advertiser followed them two years later, leaving the paper to continue under the title Dursley Gazette. The present title was adopted in 1934, shortened between 1988 and 2001 to simply Gazette.
The editorial offices are in Dursley. In July 2011 its publishers, Newsquest (Gloucestershire), announced plans to move them – along with those of the freesheet Gloucestershire Independent – to offices in Tetbury, and to close their existing offices in Dursley, Stroud and Cirencester, but those plans appear to have been shelved at least for the meantime.
There are three editions:
- Thornbury and Severnside
- Chipping Sodbury/Yate
All come out on Thursdays.