It was founded in 1886 as The Somerset Standard and Wilts and Dorset Advertiser and kept that title up until 1962 when it and the Somerset Guardian were twinned. In the Frome area the newspaper was called the Somerset Standard, Somerset Guardian; vice versa in the Radstock area. The two titles separated once more in 1981, and the Standard became simply the Somerset Standard, changing to the Frome & Somerset Standard from 2004 to 2007. It adopted its present title on 25 July 2013, when new editor Bede MacGowan decided a name that better reflected the newspaper’s circulation area was needed.
It’s published by Bath News & Media, part of Northcliffe Media, which used to be the regional newspapers and websites division of the Daily Mail & General Trust but is now part of Local World. The head office is in Bath, but there’s also a district office in Frome.
The Somerset Standard lost its own website back in 2011; the URL below now redirects to Northcliffe’s general website for Somerset, thisissomerset.co.uk. However, Local World’s decision to give its newspapers “publisher-branded” websites means that the Standard has a dedicated website once more.
It comes out on Thursdays.