It was founded in 1864 as Freeman’s Exmouth Journal, adopted its present title in 1907 and has kept it ever since, apart from a 19-year spell from 1976 when it was known as the Exmouth and East Devon Journal and then, from 1990 to 1994, simply The Journal.
It’s published by Archant South West, a branch of the Archant media group’s Archant Lifestyle division. The editorial offices are in Exeter Airport Business Park, in Clyst Honiton just outside Exeter.
There’s a separate edition for Budleigh Salterton, the Budleigh Journal; and a companion freesheet for Exmouth town, the Exmouth Herald.
The Journal comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition is also available by paid subscription on the website.