It’s published by South Hams Newspapers Ltd, which is part of the independent Tindle Newspapers group. It’s one of a series of three paid-for and two freesheet newspapers for the South Hams district. The editorial offices are in Dartmouth.
It was founded in 1854 as a monthly newspaper and remained so (apart from a brief foray as a fortnightly in 1862-1863) until 1870, when it switched to weekly publication. It’s kept its original title for most of its history, although bits have been added to and subtracted from it from time to time: from 1894 to 1946 it was the Dartford & South Hams Chronicle; from 1947 to 1951 it was the Dartmouth edition of the Dartford & Brixham Chronicle; and for six issues in the spring of 1969 it was the Dartford, Brixham & South Devon Chronicle. It merged with the South Hams Gazette series in 1984.
It comes out on Fridays. A paid e-edition is also available on the website.