It was founded in 1901 as The Cornish Guardian and County Chronicle, adding an explanatory Cornwall before the County Chronicle in 1923. It absorbed a slightly older title, the 1895-founded Saltash Gazette, in 1944 and tacked its name onto the end of its existing title, losing it again in February 1945 and then adding it immediately after the Cornish Guardian in 1945. It became simply the Cornish Guardian in 1955.
It’s published by Cornwall & Devon Media, a branch of the Daily Mail & General Trust‘s regional newspaper division, Northcliffe Media. For the first 111 years of its existence the editorial offices were in Bodmin, latterly with two local offices for St Austell (also covering Fowey and Lostwithiel) and Newquay; they’ve now moved to Truro.
There are no fewer than seven editions:
- Bodmin & District
- Lostwithiel & Fowey
- Newquay (the Newquay Guardian)
- North Cornwall (Camelford/Bude/Launceston)
- St Austell (the St Austell Guardian)
- South East (Liskeard & Looe)
- Wadebridge & Padstow
All come out on Wednesdays.
Before 2013 the website was Northcliffe Media’s portal website for Cornwall at thisiscornwall.co.uk, shared with the Western Morning News, The Cornishman and the West Briton. However, Local World’s decision that Northcliffe titles should receive their own “publisher-branded” websites means that the Guardian can now be found at the URL below.
The current Guardian has no connection with an earlier newspaper founded in Truro in 1833, The Cornish Guardian and Western Chronicle.