The Bath Chronicle
For most of its history from a decade after its foundation in 1760 (as The Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette) it was a daily newspaper, but it switched back to weekly publication in September 2007, citing the growth of web-based news publishing as the reason for the change.
It changed hands, and titles, a number of times in its first ten years of existence. In 1761 it was renamed Pope’s Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, then simply Pope’s Bath Chronicle in 1764. In 1768 it became Archer’s Bath Chronicle, then The Bath and Bristol Chronicle later that same year. A further change of owner in 1770 made it R. Cruttnell’s Bath and Bristol Chronicle, before it became simply The Bath Chronicle just over eight months later.
It’s published by Bath News & Media, a company wholly owned by Northcliffe Media, formerly the regional newspaper publishing division of the Daily Mail & General Trust but part of the new Local World media group since November 2012. The editorial offices are in Bath.
A companion series of weekly freesheets, the Bath Observer and the Norton Radstock & Frome Observer, ceased publication in 2008.
It’s published on Thursdays.