It was founded in 1878 as The Chichester Advertiser and West Sussex County Times, but had dropped the Chichester Advertiser by the time the Horsham edition was created in 1893. It’s published by Sussex Newspapers Ltd, part of Johnston Press plc. The editorial offices moved within Horsham from the Market Square to Springfield Road in 2013.
Besides the Horsham edition, there are two local sub-editions, serving the South Downs and Cranleigh. There’s also a companion freesheet, the Horsham Weekend Herald (previously the Horsham Advertiser).
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format at the end of May 2012. Local MP and Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude praised the new-look paper in his regular column, “Francis’ Footnote”.
It comes out on Thursdays.