The newspaper started out as the Sussex Agricultural Express in 1837, under John Baxter, based in Lewes. A rival during the early days, the Sussex Advertiser, folded in 1843 after a fire in 1842 – despite a remarkable act of generosity by Baxter in lending his rival a printing press to enable him to continue operations. The Express lost the word “Agricultural” from its title in 1889.
In 1914 the Sussex Express was sold to F J Parsons, based in Hastings. It merged with the Sussex County Herald in 1938. A flurry of changes of ownership between 1975 and 1996 – which saw it switch to tabloid format in 1977 – left the Sussex Express & County Herald in the hands of the Johnston Press regional and local newspapers group. It’s published by their Sussex Newspapers subsidiary.
The main editoral office is in Lewes, but there are four local editions (an earlier edition for Seaford has been discontinued):
- Lewes and Lewes Rural
- Heathfield, Uckfield & Crowborough
- Newhaven & Peacehaven
They all come out on Fridays.