It claims to have been the county’s leading newspaper since 1864, when it was established as the Surrey Advertiser and Commercial & Agricultural Register. It became the Surrey Advertiser, County Times in 1869 and retained that name (with a growing number of local editions) until 1973, when it became the Surrey Daily Advertiser, although it had been a daily newspaper for at least part of its existence before that. It dropped the Daily in 1980 and has also reverted to weekly publication.
It’s based in Guildford and published by Surrey & Berkshire Newspapers, which was a division of the Guardian Media Group until recently but then came under the ownership of Trinity Mirror in March 2010. All S&B Media’s titles share a common website.
As of the end of 2012 there were six local editions:
- Dorking & Leatherhead
Editions for Guildford East and Guildford West have been dropped; the Elmbridge edition replaced an earlier Esher & Cobham edition; and the two separate Dorking and Leatherhead editions were merged in late 2012.
All editions come out on Fridays. A companion freesheet, the Surrey Times, covers Guildford, Godalming and Cranleigh.