It was founded in 1897 as the Egham & Staines News and Weekly Journal for Ascot, Sunninghill, etc. Within a decade it was merged into the Surrey Herald, in 1908, and didn’t reappear as a separate title (the Staines & Egham News, etc.) until 1928. From 1952 to 1975 it was rather wordily titled the Staines & Egham News Surrey Herald and West Middlesex Times; it then reverted to its previous title (minus the etc.) for the next eight years.
In 1983 it became the Staines & Ashford News; Egham was covered by a sister title from 1984, the Egham News, which became first the Egham & Staines News and then the Staines & Egham News once more in 1992. Both editions continue to the present day.
Until recently it was published by North Surrey & London Newspapers, a branch of Trinity Mirror Southern, from editorial offices in Chertsey which it shared with parent title the Surrey Herald and companion freesheet the Staines Informer. However, following Trinity Mirror’s acquisition of Surrey & Berkshire Media from the Guardian Media Group in March 2010 all three titles came under the management of S& B Media and moved editorial offices to Guildford, although there’s still a branch office in Chertsey.
There are two local editions:
- Staines & Ashford
- Staines & Egham
Both come out on Wednesdays. Their web presence is through S&B Media’s common website for its Surrey titles.