Southern Daily Echo
It’s published by Newsquest (Southern) and based in editorial offices in Southampton.
It was founded in 1888 as the Southern Echo. Three years later it was renamed the Southern Echo and Bournemouth Telegraph, but it became the Southern Daily Echo in 1901. In 1958 it switched to evening publication and was accordingly renamed the Southern Evening Echo. It became simply The Echo in 1989, before reverting to its present title (and morning publication) in 1994.
There have been a number of local editions in the past, including Island, Solent, Winchester, Fareham and Forest & Waterside. By 2012 there were just two: the earlier Town & County edition, and the later City Final edition. Now there’s just one.