Advertise on this site

Home

Petersfield Post

The Petersfield Post is a weekly tabloid newspaper sold in the town of Petersfield and surrounding towns and villages in East Hampshire district, including Liphook, Liss, Clanfield, Whitehill and Bordon. The circulation area is bounded by Alton to the north; Denmead and Rowlands Castle to the south; Alresford and Cheriton to the west; and Midhurst to the east.

It was founded by F D Button as the Petersfield Weekly News and Town and District Advertiser in 1883 (and thus celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2008). In 1892 it changed title to the Hants and Sussex News to reflect its expanding circulation area (and Petersfield’s location on the Hants/Sussex boundary) and kept that title for the next 70 years.

Meanwhile, the Hampshire Telegraph – whose origins as the Portsmouth Telegraph, or Motley’s Naval and Military Journal lay nearly a century further back, in 1799 – started a Petersfield edition which was eventually named the Petersfield Post. The two merged in September 1962 under that title and have kept it ever since, except for a decade from 1976 to 1986 when it was known as the East Hampshire Post.

Up until 2013 it was published by Portsmouth Publishing and Printing Ltd, a subsidiary of the nationwide Johnston Press group of regional and local newspapers. However, it was sold to Tindle Newspapers – who publish the rival Petersfield Herald – in the summer of that year. A new company, Petersfield Post Limited, was set up at the end of June 2013 to manage the paper once it came under Tindle control.

The editorial offices are in Petersfield.

There’s a separate edition for Bordon: the Bordon Post.

It comes out on Wednesday mornings.

  • Address:
  • Petersfield Post
    33 High Street
    PETERSFIELD
    GU32 3JR
  • Tel:
  • 01730 232600
  • Fax:
  • 01730 266721
Advertise on this site




Custom Search