It was founded in 1882 as The Midhurst Times. It underwent a series of name changes in the 1930s: first it became the Midhurst and Petworth Times (1935), then the Midhurst, Petworth, Haslemere and District Times (1936), then the Midhurst, Petworth and District Times (New Year 1940). It briefly became the Midhurst and Petworth Times once more in 1962 before relaunching under its present title in 1964.
It’s published by Sussex Newspapers (part of the nationwide Johnston Press group of regional and local newspapers). Although the main editorial offices are in Chichester, there’s also a Midhurst office.
It switched from broadsheet to tabloid format at the end of September 2012.