It was founded by Edwin Bushell Prosser in 1869, and thus celebrated its 140th anniversary in July 2009. It’s remained an independent publication ever since, although the original subtitle (Berks, Bucks, Middlesex, & Oxfordshire Chronicle) has been dropped. In 1962 proprietor Louis Baylis transferred ownership to a charitable trust, effectively gifting the newspaper to the town of Maidenhead. It’s published by Baylis Media (formerly Baylis & Co (The Maidenhead Advertiser) Ltd) from offices in Maidenhead. (Besides the main editorial office address given below, there’s also a part-time office in Queen Street.)
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition’s also available by paid subscription. A small share of the print run is also available by free pickup from various locations around the town.