It traces its origins back to the earlier Kentish Post, first published in 1717, making it technically the second or third oldest newspaper in England and the oldest in the KM Group, which acquired it in 1980. However, the original newspaper bearing the title The Kentish Gazette was first published in May 1768 as a twice-weekly. It was renamed The Kentish Gazette, or Canterbury Chronicle two months later but reverted to the simple Kentish Gazette in 1769.
In 1886 it absorbed another title founded just two years previously, The Canterbury Times and East Kent News, and continued publication as the Kentish Gazette and Canterbury Times. Much the same thing happened in 1891, when it incorporated The Canterbury Press and Kent County News, founded in 1876 as The Kent County News and Liberal Review, and became the Kentish Gazette and Canterbury Press. It became the Kentish Gazette once more in 1952.
The editorial offices are in Whitstable.
There are separate editions for Canterbury and Whitstable; and two other titles in the group, the Faversham News and the Herne Bay Gazette. There’s also a companion weekly freesheet, the Canterbury Extra.
It comes out on Thursdays. An e-edition (by subscription) is available through the website.