It was founded in 1859 as The Hastings & St Leonards Observer and Visitors’ Fashionable List. It spent four years between 1869 and 1873 as the Hastings & St Leonards Herald and Observer and Fashionable Visitors’ List, before settling down to its present full title.
It’s published by T R Beckett, a branch of the Southern division of nationwide regional newspaper group Johnston Press. The editorial offices are in St Leonards and are shared with the Rye & Battle Observer.
A companion freesheet, the Hastings & Bexhill Resident, ceased publication in October 2012.
It comes out on Fridays.