Its history goes back to 1973, when it was founded as the Hastings & St Leonards News. (It had no connection with an earlier newspaper of that title, published from 1848 to 1905.) It kept that title up to June 1995, apart from a two-year period from 1989-91 when it was called the Hastings & St Leonards Citizen. It was then renamed the Hastings AdNews up until shortly before its closure, when it assumed the title above.
It was published by T R Beckett, part of Johnston Press‘s Southern division, as a companion to their paid-for weekly the Hastings Observer. Its editorial offices were collocated in St Leonards with the Observer, whose website it also shared.
It came out on Wednesdays.
It was closed in October 2012 to allow resources to be focused on production of the Observer.